This post is going to be a bunch of little things that irritate me about various software that I use. They’re not quite annoying enough for me to learn AppleScript/Songbird extensions/whatever and fix them myself, but I’m hoping that my readers will have solutions for at least some of these issues.
- Unmute my computer every morning.
- In the evenings I may turn down the sound or mute my MacBook Pro, to avoid annoying the kids or whatever. Every morning at 7AM (or whenever I wake my computer after 7am), I want the sound back to full volume and unmuted.
- Play pieces randomly, not tracks.
- I would like my music player to understand that the six movements of a Rheinberger Mass belong together, when playing in random mode. The cognitive dissonance of playing the Sanctus and then skipping to “She was a Hotel Detective” is painful. I’m happy to manually group the tracks when I first import them. Note: I’m currently using iTunes, but I don’t mind switching.
- Disable music with words while writing
- I would like my music player to avoid playing any music with words while I’m writing. I just can’t verbally multitask like that. I’m happy to tell the player which music has words, and tell it when I’m writing.
- My feed reader should coalesce duplicate postings
- Frequently I will get the same blog posting via Planet Mozilla, an individual blog feed, and even Google blogsearch feeds. I really desperately want my feed reader to know that these are the same post and display it once in my inbox, instead of multiple times.