Mozilla Status Board

manishearth@gmail.com

Current Status - 2015-03-09

Done:

Servo:

  • Getting Gonk to work again
  • Mach integration of Gonk
  • Started Travisifying deps
  • Started work on linear types

Rust:

  • Rollups and shepherding
  • Figuring out improvements to the build system
  • Workshop at GNUnify

Next:

  • More travisification
  • Help Philip with linear types
  • Use code similar to humpty_dumpty for unused clone detection
  • Fix SSL SAN

Older Posts

Member of Projects

Team Posts

ncameron@mozilla.com yesterday

Done:

Next:

start continuous benchmarking, start parallel codegen investigation

simon.sapin@exyr.org 4 days ago

Done:

  • Attend the rust meetup / release party in NYC
  • Give a talk on WTF-8 at !!Con. Rust very popular in that crowd!
  • CSS Working Group face to face meeting

kmcallister@mozilla.com 6 days ago

Done:

Servo security bug triage

More reading on TLS, opened some relevant Servo issues

More fuzzing

Prepared a report on piston-image bugs

Wrote bindings for a web font sanitizer

Next:

Fix build issues with fontsan

Land tendril in h5e

Servo security writeup

Coordination:

I'm waiting for the new PNG decoder in piston-image, which is apparently almost ready.

josh@joshmatthews.net 6 days ago

Done:

  • fixed remaining responsive viewport test failures
  • NCSU postmortem
  • merged document load tracking
  • wrote a patch to fix the TCPSocket crash
  • tried to reproduce viewport resize intermittent failure
  • prepared for Rust 1.0 release party
  • Servo reviews

Next:

  • Address async script loading review
  • Keep looking into frequent intermittent viewport resize failures
  • Address incomplete viewport resize fix
  • Make a plan for b2g + SW networking
  • Review backlog

mbrubeck@mozilla.com last week

Done:

  • Submitted PR tomaka/android-rs-glue#53 - fix Android library loading.
  • Submitted PR #6049 - Fix layout of RTL blocks with margins.
  • Submitted PR #6068 - add mach run -d short option
  • Submitted PR #6081 - Fix layout of RTL tables.
  • Found a bug in RTL inline-block layout, filed issue #6092.
  • Reviewed #6024, #6012, #6052, #6054.

Next:

  • File follow-up issues for RTL float positioning.
  • Review #5727, #6124.
  • Fix RTL inline-block layout issue #6092.
  • Start work on RTL/bidi text issues.

gwatson@mozilla.com last week

Done:

  • Land reftest reliability fixes PR.
  • Rebase and land iframe + pipeline + thread cleanup PR.
  • Fix android rendering.
  • Fix android logging.
  • Investigate why JS errors are not being reported.
  • Bits of embedding / opengl help for zmike.
  • Several code reviews.
  • Remove MS TTF fonts dependency.
  • Fix some unrelated compositor race conditions.
  • Fix miniservo-gtk build.
  • Investigate mozjs crash that seems related to GC.
  • Work on jquery test suite integration.

Next:

  • Continue to investigate mozjs crash that seems related to GC.
  • Work on jquery test suite integration.

lbergstrom@mozilla.com last week

Done:

  • HR/Recruiting stuff
  • Reviews of CEF PRs
  • Organizing Whistler training & meetings
  • Smashed head against Android repeatedly (now working, thanks to help from glennw!)
  • Rustup

Next:

  • Scheduling Whistler stuff
  • Perf work on Android
  • Rustup
  • Start writing arch docs
  • HR/Recruiting stuff

jack@metajack.im last week

Done:

  • CTO offsite
  • Daala performance analysis and presentation

Next:

  • Catch up on everything

Ms2ger@gmail.com last week

Done:

Coordination:

In SF the 25th/26th.

banderson@mozilla.com 3 weeks ago

Done:

Full log

Next:

  • Continue porting parts of crater to rust and writting http interface
  • Windows planning

manishearth@gmail.com 3 months ago

Done:

Servo:

  • Getting Gonk to work again
  • Mach integration of Gonk
  • Started Travisifying deps
  • Started work on linear types

Rust:

  • Rollups and shepherding
  • Figuring out improvements to the build system
  • Workshop at GNUnify

Next:

  • More travisification
  • Help Philip with linear types
  • Use code similar to humpty_dumpty for unused clone detection
  • Fix SSL SAN

pcwalton@mozilla.com 4 months ago

Done:

Last week:

  • Some business development on Monday and Tuesday.
  • Started work on a Rust audiovisual codec library with the goal of using it for animated GIFs, video, and audio in Servo.
    • Created Cargo packages for unencumbered codecs and container formats: MP4 (via mp4v2), Vorbis, WebM, and VP8.
    • Implemented bindings for the Mac VideoToolbox and AudioCodec framework and the Linux FFmpeg library so that we can decode H.264 and AAC if the end user has the appropriate decoding libraries installed.

Next:

  • More work on rust-media:
    • Implement support for animated GIFs in rust-media via giflib.
    • Generalize the support for the Mac AudioCodec framework. Right now it is hardcoded to 48000 bps and 6 channels; it needs to find the bitrate and channels from the media stream itself.
    • Implement AAC audio support on Linux by binding to the system FFmpeg (if available).
    • Implement streaming support.
    • Test rust-media with a sample SDL-based app that plays H.264 and WebM video.
    • Land rust-media as a dependency of Servo.
  • Servo, more generally
    • Follow up on reviews, especially for sandboxing.

acrichton@mozilla.com 4 months ago

Done:

  • Rust
    • Fixed a number of minor bugs relating to -L, -l, and cross compilation.
    • Landed std::env and std::io.
    • Wrote std::fs patch, std::net RFC, and std::net patch
    • Shepherded the from_raw_buf RFC
    • Fixed some assorted missing stabilization attributes
  • Cargo
    • Removed auto-cleaning behavior
    • Added support for --precise with registry dependencies
    • Fixed some assorted bugs

Next:

  • Land std::fs
  • Land std::net
  • Sheperd some more RFCs to landing
  • Make a plan for stabilizing remaining modules

mrobinson@igalia.com 5 months ago

Done:

  • Finishing up work on a patch to prevent leakage of shared surfaces when the PaintTask finishes.

Next:

  • Continuing to look at iframe related issues.
  • Looking again at intrinsic positioning issues with margin collapse.

czwarich@mozilla.com 6 months ago

Done:

(Long time since last update)

Next:

  • Dealing with libgreen / runtime removal from rust in Servo.
  • Helping futureproof Box and related features in Rust 1.0.
  • Moving graphics in Servo to a better state, particularly wrt surface management.

cgaebel@mozilla.com 8 months ago

Done:

  • Lots of incremental layout work
    • sibling selectors are a thing, so mark siblings of a dirty node are also dirty
    • Word wrapping bug in incremental layout fixed
    • Fixed the bug where wikipedia elements drift down the page
    • Fixed the bug where freshly loaded images wouldn't trigger a reflow
    • Implemented incremental reflow (before it was just incremental style recalc).

Next:

  • Fix all the bugs with incremental reflow. There's some failing reftests, and I can't seem to be able to remove an image in javascript without having to resize the page to make it disappear...
  • Implement incremental display list sending.

nmatsakis@mozilla.com 9 months ago

Done:

  • Reviewed:
    • hashmap
    • a DST patch or two
    • ... lost track ...
  • Landed:
  • Read numerous RFCs:
    • comment thread on macro syntax change, collected thoughts
    • comment thread on static drop, collected thoughts
    • ... lost track ...
  • RFCs:
    • Integer literals
    • Defaulted typed parameters
    • Amended privacy RFC
  • Submitted camera ready version of:
    • DLS paper on typed objects
    • HILT extended abstract on Rust
  • Worked on:
    • details of closure inference
    • removing bivariance and requiring markers more strictly
    • rebasing trait-reform branch over top of nrc (now bootstrapping)

Next:

Primary plans for this week:

  • trait-reform branch
  • land variance branch
  • settle plan on closures
  • ...a bunch of other stuff that's on my local to do list.

pwalton@mozilla.com 10 months ago

Done:

  • Submitted a PR for associated types.

Next:

  • Implement where clauses.
  • Burn down more P-backcompat-lang issues.
  • Land all my in-progress PRs.

aturon@mozilla.com 11 months ago

Done:

Next:

  • Help bjz land Option/Result RFC
  • Errors RFC with wycats
  • Paper revisions for OOPSLA
  • Concurrent circular buffer (a la Linux)
  • rust-book
  • Research Go's Text/Scanner

manishsmail@gmail.com last year

Done:

XHR:

Other:

Next:

  • Implement a basic synchronous GET request
  • Start work on adding POSTdata support to resource_task
  • Dummy webidl implementation of ProgressEvent

pnkfelix@mozilla.com last year

Done:

Its been a long time since last status report; d'oh.

Next:

Land control-flow graph visualization library with libgraphviz.

Attempt to clean up control-flow graph code and land it too.

Continue work on lifetime bounds (namely supporting constructs like ~Foo:'a and trait Bar<'a> : 'a { ... }).

Coordination:

Regarding make check-stage1: I am not sure if we could possibly turn it on in buildbots.

Alex said we probably cannot guarantee that make check-stage1 always works for arbitrary desired changes. Is there some middle ground, like having bors run make check-stage1 and write a note in any PR where it fails?

I.e. so that it doesn't block landing work, but contributors are at least informed that it is not working? (And might have a hope of tracking down when it started failing in previous PRs that landed?)

alex@crichton.co last year

Done:

  • Forbid unnecessary privacy in functions - #10111
  • Optimize tty usage in libuv (stdout mostly)
  • Implemented unstable::mutex::Mutex to remove all remaining C++ synchronization code
  • Landed the native file I/O patch
  • Re-worked privacy/reachable to put more work in privacy (where it belongs)
  • Removed linked failure

Next:

  • Get a review for the static linking patch
    • Once static linking is landed, get a libcxxabi/libunwind solution for windows
  • Rewrite channels to be much more optimized and work inside/outside the runtime
    • Drop oneshot, possibly drop SharedPort
  • Once channels are rewritten, add a convenient way of booting the runtime
  • Continue supporting 1:1 by overhauling task creation

Coordination:

I'll be in SFO all week, taking Wed-Fri off.

catamorphism@gmail.com last year

Done:

  • Triaged all remaining rustpkg bugs: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/Rustpkg-priorities
  • Worked with Keegan to get more of servo ported to rustpkg (of course, Jack and Keegan get most of the credit for this)
  • Transferred ownership of the weekly triage meeting to Felix
  • Summarized OPW applications received so far (if you'd like to be involved in choosing the Rust intern, let me know, as there are four good candidates)
  • Closed #9569
  • Closed #9311
  • Fixed #10253 (still working on landing it)
  • Compiled list of existing rustpkg packages: https://github.com/mozilla/rust/wiki/Rustpkg

Next:

  • Select OPW intern
  • Fix as many bugs listed as "important" here ( https://etherpad.mozilla.org/Rustpkg-priorities ) as I can (if you have ideas about which ones are the most important, let me know)
  • Determine new owner for rustpkg (so far, Brian has expressed interest)

Coordination:

Friday is my last day of work. I might try to work from San Francisco tomorrow and/or Wednesday; haven't decided.

Please keep in touch -- my permanent email address is chevalier@alum.wellesley.edu and I still plan to be on IRC and the mailing list when I can.

eschweickart@mozilla.com last year

Done:

  • Initial iframe support with tikue
  • Presentation

Next:

  • Maintain iframe PR until it lands
  • Finish up a PR that addresses memory management in the compositor

tkuehn@mozilla.com last year

Done:

  • Landed FrameTree changes
  • Changes in compositor to connect the multi-layer changes to the FrameTree changes in constellation
  • Some general code cleanup, especially in constellation.rs

Next:

  • Get layout to send iframes' assigned positions and sizes to constellation

Coordination:

Working with eschweic on the compositor changes. If all goes well, iframes will land this week.

eatkinson@mozilla.com last year

Done:

  • assign_height is now partially bu instead of inorder
  • Type system enforces that traversal visitors can only view descendants

Next:

  • Work-stealing algorithms for tree traversals
  • Implement a Chase-Lev queue to do work stealing

Coordination:

Aaron Todd is working on a CLQ for the rust scheduler; we should avoid duplicating code.

pcwalton@mimiga.net last year

Done:

  • Removed copy from rustc.

  • Removed pub extern from the language.

  • Made @ take a 'static bound.

  • Started porting the visitor to use traits instead of @fns, with the eventual goal of removing @fn from the language.

Next:

  • Continue working on porting the visitor to use traits.

  • Remove @fn from the language.

  • OSCON Wed-Fri.

tchevalier@mozilla.com last year

Done:

Landed #7419 (making rustpkg build work without a package argument) Started #7075 (using workcache) -- got blocked on workcache context not being sendable. Graydon did some work on it and it should be possible for me to get back to this if that work has landed. Worked on #6407 (allowing extern mods to name a URL) Debugged sporadic rustpkg test failures on the Mac bot; currently making check-rustpkgtest depend on the rustpkg executable, which I'm hoping will fix it

Next:

Finish #6407 Finish #7075 Implement #6411

Coordination:

Working remote on Thursday and Friday (doctor's appointment on Thursday, heading to SF office for Feminist Friday).