Firefox Release Repackager
The release repackager is a tool which can take a Firefox release,
deconstruct the release package, insert an extension to be installed
with the release, and reconstruct the release package. The repackager
is typically used in conjunction with the CCK to create customized
builds for Mozilla partners and corporate IT administrators.
Warning: It is a violation of the Mozilla license and trademark to distribute customized builds created with this tool outside of your organization without a written agreement with the Mozilla corporation. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- A Mac.
- Firefox 1.5.0.x or 2.0.0.x release binaries. These should be placed in an empty folder:
- Windows Installer
- Mac DMG
- Linux Tarball
- An extension .xpi to package.
- If repackaging Firefox 1.5 on Windows, the extension must have an
install.js in addition to the standard
install.rdf. The CCK automatically adds a correct
install.js. This is not necessary for the Firefox 2 series.
Note: this package includes the repackaging application and an
embedded copy of XULRunner 220.127.116.11.
sources are available via SVN.
Usage from the GUI is hopefully pretty self-explanatory; specify the path
of the extension .XPI, the path of the original Firefox release bits, and
an empty directory into which to save the repackaged bits. The repackaged
bits will have the same filename as the originals.
There is also a command-line interface:
- Available platforms are win, mac, unix, zip (Windows ZIP archive... mainly useful for generating update MARs)
- Disable profile migration in this build using override.ini.
- Perform repackaging immediately without requiring any GUI actions.
- Since MacOS is the only OS that can unpack and repack DMG
archives, the repackager only works on MacOS. If you only have a Windows
machine and you only care about repackaging Windows installers, I'm happy
to accept patches.
- The tool only works with single extensions; it does not work with
multiple-item packages. If you're using the CCK wizard, this means
that you cannot add any items to the "Extensions/Themes" panel. This
wouldn't be especially hard to fix: patches accepted.
- Version 1.4 - Source
- Released 23-Feb-2006
- Added the ability to suppress profile migration.
- Version 1.3 - Source
- Released 16-Nov-2006
- Added the ability to repack a second XPI (this doesn't work for the
- Version 1.2 - Source
- Released 9-Oct-2006
- Added the ability to repack NSIS installers for Firefox 2.
- Version 1.1 - Source
- Released 4-Oct-2006
- Added the ability to repack Windows ZIP files.
- Version 1.0 - Source
- Released 26-Aug-2006
- Fixed several bugs from prerelease versions, including a major bug
where the Windows installer wasn't repackaged correctly due a mismatched
name for the "Component CCK" section in config.ini.
- Added a command-line interface for scripted repackaging.